Since becoming pregnant, I’ve taken a closer look at some of the chemicals that are part of my daily life and have done some reassessing – I’m talking to you, nail polish!… which is apparently really really bad for you :( I switched over to a homemade cleaner a few years ago and haven’t looked back. Sure, I have to put in a tiny bit more elbow grease, but I’m fine with that. I need the exercise anyway. The one thing I miss from my all purpose cleaner is a “fresh” smell. Most store bought cleaners have a synthesized fresh smell of pine or citrus.. but I was wondering if there was a natural and affordable way I could add the smell of lemons to my vinegar solution so that my house didn’t smell like salt and vinegar chips. Granted, the vinegar-y smell dries off fairly quickly, but wouldn’t lemon-infused vinegar be so much better?? After a bit of internet sleuthing, I found what I was looking for!
To make this:
- Cut up a whole lemon and remove the flesh from the rind*
- Add the rind to a lidded jar and pour vinegar over the rind until your jar is full
- Put the lid on the jar and store in a cupboard for about 2 days for the lemon to infuse the vinegar
- Once infused, strain the infused vinegar into a spray bottle
- Optional: Compost the lemon rind :)
*Add the lemon flesh to a pitcher of water to make yourself a refreshing summery drink!
To do a test-run I used the lemon infused vinegar, along with about 2 tbsp of baking soda, to clean the bathtub… it worked like a charm and the smell was great too :)
For cleaning my house, I use a variety of ingredients, all of which can be found in the grocery store, and most of which you can ingest no problem!
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Lemons/Lemon juice (if I have them and they’re cheap/in season)
- Olive oil (a drop or two will help shine up wood surfaces!)
Do you have any go-to natural solutions for cleaning? I like to hear what other people use!