At the beginning of the month I blogged about the lack of cover on my bedroom's French door. Unfortunately I have to pass by the door to do pretty much anything in my room so the lack of privacy was an issue.
My interim solution was to drape a curtain over the top of the door... As you can see, it was more of an eyesore than a solution.
I pinned around for ideas but kept in the back of my mind what Daniel from Manhattan Nest did to his French doors in his old apartment. I knew that solution would let the light come through, be easily removable, and most importantly, look great (hopefully!).
So I looked into his original source (Jessica, from How About Orange) for the project and it turns out it really is an easy process. I made a few modifications to their process because both Daniel and Jessica said they made way too much of the paste that sticks the fabric to the doors.
Here is my revised paste:
- Boil 2 cups of water
- While the water is boiling, stir 1/8 cup corn starch into 1/4 cup cold water
- Add the boiled water and mix it up
- Wait for it to cool down
While I waited for the paste to cool, I took the measurements from one glass panel on the door and used those measurements to make a template on a thin piece of cardboard (think cereal box thickness). The fabric I used was a basic white 100% cotton twin bed sheet and I ironed it thoroughly. Using my template and a pencil, I outlined my template onto the fabric, but drew it about 0.5 cm bigger on each side of the template so that I wouldn't have any gaps once the fabric was pasted onto the glass. It's definitely a good idea to test paste one or two pieces before you draw out and/or cut the rest of the fabric. That's how I figured out to cut the fabric slightly bigger than the glass panel.
Once the paste was cool, I slathered it onto the fabric with a pastry brush until the fabric was fully saturated. I worked on big plastic bag so I didn't make a mess. I placed the fabric on the door and used an old metropass (any plastic card will do) to gently smooth out the bubbles. Have paper towel or a cloth on hand because most of the paste will leak out!
Here is a close up of the fabric
And here's what the door looks like from the other side of my door with the hallway light off and on
Total things needed for this project and their costs:
Cornstarch (already had)
Fabric (bought a 100% cotton white sheet for $8)
Bowl (already had)
Pastry brush or paint brush (already had)
Sharp scissors (already had)
Paper towel or cloth (already had)
Total cost for this project: $8!
Difficulty* of the project : 3
(*1=breathing, 10= tightrope walking across high-rises on a windy day)
Notes: Even halving the recipe, I still had a lot of paste left over, but I wouldn't have reduced it any further.