Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tutorial: Fluttering Hearts Frame

I love doing crafts and projects and must talk about it incessantly (hehe whoops) because a few months ago I got asked to put my mad skillz (sarcasm) to use and make a wedding guest book. The bride sent me some inspirational pictures and told me she wanted white hearts on a white background with 2 pink hearts - one with her and the hubbie's initials, and one with their wedding date. I spent an afternoon doing the project, but the wedding ended up being called off (eeek!) before I ever had the chance to show it to the bride. 

Valentine's Day is around the corner and I thought this would make the perfect DIY gift tutorial. You could definitely also make this as a wedding guest book and have everyone sign in the hearts, or you could use coloured/patterned paper or pages from your favourite book for the hearts. It's completely customizable, super cute, and only costs about $20 if you're buying all of the supplies from scratch!


Supplies:

  • Shadow Box Frame (mine was originally $13 from Michael's but I waited until they were 50% off)
  • Mat Board (already had)
  • Paper or Cardstock (already had)
  • Glue Stick (already had)
  • 1 inch Heart Punch (mine was originally $8 from Michael's but I used a 50% off coupon)
  • Ruler (already had)
  • Pencil (already had)
  • Something with a not-too-sharp edge like a paperback novel

Total cost for me: $11.50 + existing supplies


Instructions:


Step 1: Remove the paper template in your shadow box and use its dimensions to cut your mat to size


Step 2: Once cut, figure out how much border you want around your hearts. The frame I bought was perfect for 49 stars (47 were sign-able for the guestbook). Knowing I would be making 7 rows of 7, I found and marked off the centre of the frame. I started by making the centre horizontal line, then the centre vertical line. This helped me keep the lines straight. Note: I only marked the first heart's location (the one in the centre). For the subsequent hearts, I just used my ruler as the guide and made sure the bottom points of the hearts were 1.5 inches apart horizontally and vertically. 


Step 3: Punch out those hearts! I used just over 1 sheet of white craft paper and cut out about 50 hearts - I cut a few extra just in case. 


Step 4: Using the spine of a book (or something else with a hard 90 degree edge), put a crease (not a complete fold) vertically down all of your hearts, except for any hearts you want to stand out from the rest. When I originally made this as a guest book, the hearts were pink, but now they're glitter and they're kind of awesome :)



Step 5: Glue your hearts to your mat! Start with the centre heart. Alternately glue the left side then the right side of the hearts so that you get this pattern... look, they're all a-flutter!


Step 6: Enjoy!


This project took me an afternoon to do and I'm very very pleased with the results! If you give it a go, I'd love to know how it went for you. 


Do you have any DIYs up your sleeve for Valentine's Day? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Thanks for stopping by :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...