Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Domino - The Book of Decorating

On Saturday, after watching Harry Potter 7, Michelle and I stopped in Chapters to look around. I'd put Domino - The Book of Decorating on hold at the library, but I was like, the hundredth-and-something person on the list.  I knew it would be a WHILE before I'd get it and I was pretty sure it was a book I'd want to be able to reference again in the future (for the condo!), so Michelle and I impulsively went on the hunt for it in the bookstore. There was only one copy left (fate!) so I grabbed it and grinned all the way to the counter to buy it.



Description from Amazon


Domino: The Book of Decorating cracks the code to creating a beautiful home, bringing together inspiring rooms, how-to advice and insiders’ secrets from today’s premier tastemakers in an indispensable style manual. The editors take readers room by room, tapping the best ideas from domino magazine and culling insights from their own experiences. With an eye to making design accessible and exciting, this book demystifies the decorating process and provides the tools for making spaces that are personal, functional and fabulous.




In all honesty, there are parts in the book that I loved...
  • "The Big Piece:"... Kitchen/Bathroom/Dining Room/Living Room, etc - This section breaks down one key component to each room - ie: the cabinets, vanity, dining table, and sofa, respectively - and discusses different styles of those "big pieces".  
  • "Very Important Tips" - this gave some very helpful information and comparisons on different materials, fabrics, lighting, furniture 
  • "The Decorator's Handbook" - it's a guide to window treatments and upholstery - 2 things I would like to learn about more, especially considering we'll have 2 full walls on windows on the condo!

 ...and parts that I felt like I could skip over completely
  • I didn't like any of the "How To Mix and Match" designs 
  • Chapter nine - The Kids' Room (cute, but not relevant to me right now) 

If I had to give it a rating, it'd probably give it a solid 4. The cover is super cute and I love the colour so it'll be residing on my coffee table for a while :-)


Random side note: For some reason, I keep pronouncing this book "Dom-EE-no" instead of "DOM-in-oh" lol  
Someone please tell me they do that too??

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments! Thanks for stopping by :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...